sshd: server refused our key

Manfred Köhler manfredwkoehler@web.de
Tue Jan 21 13:57:00 GMT 2003

> > > drwxr-xr-x  138 mk       group         24576 Nov 20 11:48 .
> > > drwxr-xr-x    2 mk       group          4096 Nov 19 13:44 .ssh
> > >        - your home/.ssh files
> > > seen on UNIX:
> > > -rw-r--r--    1 mk       group         545 Nov 20 08:48
> > > authorized_keys
> > > -rw-r--r--    1 mk       group         546 Nov 20 08:48
> > > authorized_keys2
> > > -rw-------    1 mk       group         887 Nov 19 13:44 id_rsa
> > > -rw-r--r--    1 mk       group         218 Nov 19 13:44 id_rsa.pub
> > > -rw-------    1 mk       group         523 Nov 19 13:44 identity
> > > -rw-r--r--    1 mk       group         327 Nov 19 13:44 identity.pub
> > > -rw-r--r--    1 mk       group        1442 Nov 20 11:50 known_hosts
> > > -rw-------    1 mk       group         512 Nov 20 11:50 random_seed

> are perfectly fine.  What irritates me is the "seen on UNIX"
> and "seen inside ssh session".  What does that mean?  From the
> cygcheck output I would think the home dir is on the local NTFS
> drive C:.  So how can you see anything from UNIX?  You know that
> the permission translation between UNIX and NT via Samba doesn't
> work flawlessly, don't you?  Could you please enlighten us what
> the above wording is trying to say?  And especially interesting
> are the permissions on these files seen in a *local* NT session
> on that very machine you're trying to connect via ssh.

-	mk is a user on a UNIX host.
-	mk has a domain account on Windows.
-	When mk logs on on Windows, his UNIX home directory is mounted on Windows.
-	mk has a PC with CYGWIN and a runnig ssh demon.
-	When mk is logged in on a UNIX console window and trys to get a secure shell on the
PC with the ssh demon, he is prompted for a password
-	When mk is logged in on a UNIX console window and trys to get a secure shell on
another UNIX host he is not prompted for a password

I have setup ssh demon using ssh-user-config -y, CYGWIN will be set to "binmode ntsec tty".
/etc/group, /etc/passwd "know" mk as domain user with home directory on a net mounted host.

How can I set up CYGWIN and/or sshd that key authentification works fine?

Manfred