Consistent usage of "black on white" colors in terminal

Jim Kleckner jek-cygwin@kleckner.net
Wed Jan 22 06:01:00 GMT 2003

Thorsten Kampe wrote:

>* Jim Kleckner (03-01-21 21:17 +0100)
>
>>I have mostly gotten my bash colors to display properly with black on white
>>which I find considerably more pleasing than white on black [...]
>>
>>Programs like info, man, and cpan, however, do not know about these switched
>>default colors.
>>

>I have switched to rxvt because of color problems with IPython and
>haven't turned back.
>
>Have a look at the man page and my .Xdefaults[1]...

Thank you for the suggestion.

I'm currently using the bare cmd.exe of Win2k and didn't want to have to
start X11 just to get a terminal emulator.  It seems heavy - is this
really necessary?  There is probably some magic thing to say in inputrc
or terminfo to specify these colors but it has been 20 years since I
waded into termcap/terminfo.  The manual mentions set_foreground and
set_background but it requires a lot of digging to sort out.  I was
hoping someone could point the way or say "there be dragons".

Jim