Bug in rm -r with locked files

Igor Pechtchanski pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Wed Jan 22 17:38:00 GMT 2003

On Wed, 22 Jan 2003, Gael Mulat wrote:

> Gael Mulat wrote:
>
> >    Hi,
> >
> >    This is a bug report about rm (package fileutils, version 4.1-1) on W2K.
> >
> >    Test case: take 2 cygwin shells.
> > shell 1:
> >    mkdir /tmp/directory
> >    vi /tmp/directory/file
> >
> > shell 2:
> >    /bin/rm -rf /tmp/directory
> >
> >    The shell2 doesn't manage to remove the directory and goes into an
> > infinite loop, taking 100% of the CPU.
> >    All is then OK if we go out of vi in the shell1.
> >
> >    Doing the same thing (deleting the directory) directly in Windows
> > produces an error message: "cannot delete directory: Access is denied.
> > The source file may be in use" and we can notice in the directory a
> > file named .file.swp that is also visible under Cygwin with ls -la.
> >
> >    The example I have just given uses vi, but it is the same with all
> > processes that open the file, as W2K puts a lock on it.
> >
> > Gael Mulat
> >
>     OK. If I summurize all that has been said, this problem is
> well-known but has no solution in a near future.
>
>     But a workaround would be very useful for people (me and Brian
> Kelly, for instance) who use plenty of rm -rf in cross-platform shell
> scripts.
>
>     Thanks to Shankar Unni, I have mine: I didn't noticed that only rm
> -rf had the trouble, and not rm -r.
>
>     So my workaround will be to replace all the '/bin/rm -rf dir' by
> 'chmod -R +w dir; /bin/rm -r dir'. The semantic is not exactly the same
> (especially on write-protected directories), but that will allow my
> scripts to work well...
>
>     Thanks everybody.
> Gael.

A suggestion:

'/bin/find dir -depth -exec /bin/chmod +w {} \; -exec /bin/rm -r {} \;'
might work, and will only parse the tree once...  It will invoke chmod and
rm multiple times, though, but that's a tradeoff.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

Oh, boy, virtual memory! Now I'm gonna make myself a really *big* RAMdisk!
  -- /usr/games/fortune