Cron Problems

Wu Yongwei adah@netstd.com
Thu Jan 23 06:24:00 GMT 2003

I successfully ran some simple cron jobs under Cygwin, but two things
puzzled me.

1) There are always some error messages in Event Log Viewer when running
cron or crontab.  The error messages are like "Description of event ID
(0) cannot be found (in resource (cron)).  There might be missing
registry information ... crontab : Win32 Process Id = 0x34C : Cygwin
Process Id = 0x340 : (Administrator) REPLACE (Administrator)" and "...
/usr/sbin/cron : Win32 Process Id = 0x410 : Cygwin Process Id = 0x410 :
(CRON) STARTUP (fork ok)" (this is a back-translation since I am using a
Chinese system).  However, the scheduled job is successfully done.

2) How to start cron when starting the computer?  I tried running it as
a service in cygrunsrv (cygrunsrv -I cron -p /usr/sbin/cron), but failed
since starting the service always failed (cron : Win32 Process Id =
0x3F8 : Cygwin Process Id = 0x3F8 : starting service `cron' failed:
execv: 0, No error.) but the process cron appeared.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Wu Yongwei

P.S.  When starting cron from a command prompt or shell, the process
will be bound to the command prompt or shell, i.e., when the command
prompt or shell exits, the cron process will exit too.  My method of
curing this problem is to change byte 0xDC of cron.exe from 03 to 02
(CUI to GUI).  Any better methods?