idea for a new project, libntcmd

Jon LaBadie jcyg@jgcomp.com
Sat Jan 25 01:13:00 GMT 2003

On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 06:24:17PM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 03:09:43PM -0800, Rafael Kitover wrote:
> >>Really?  Or would it simply delay them learning the knowledge to
> >>function in an environment that does not make specific allowances for
> >>them?
> >
> >Well, the goal would be for new cygwin users, who often have little
> >knowledge of UNIX, to have more space to get comfortable in learning
> >the environment.
>
> I would challenge the assertion that new cygwin users often have little
> knowledge of UNIX.  Vocal people on this mailing list do make this
> assertion from time to time but there is no hard data to support that
> claim.
>
> In absence of hard data, I am (perhaps naively) sticking with the
> assumption that the core goal for the project of providing UNIX
> emulation for Windows for people who want UNIX tools, is still valid.
>
> I guess it's remotely possible that someone would want UNIX tools
> because they're interested in UNIX but don't know anything about it.  If
> that is the case, then (as I think has already been mentioned) offering
> them Windows commands or, especially, paths doesn't sound like it would
> be doing them any favors.

I teach unix intro/shell intro classes.  In nearly everyone the subject
comes up "{how can I/I wish I could} work on this at home".  Cygwin is
always one of my answers.

I agree it would do them a disservice to provide cmd equivalents and
would only add to their confusion.

Although in class, I show capabilities like 'alias dir=ls' to new
unix users, I recommend against it in the next breath.  It is better
to learn/immerse yourself in the language or system you are using.

--
Jon H. LaBadie                  jcyg@jgcomp.com
 JG Computing