cygpath question

Randall R Schulz rrschulz@cris.com
Sun Jan 26 05:04:00 GMT 2003

At 15:04 2003-01-25, Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) wrote:
>At 07:03 PM 1/24/2003, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> >Rob,

> >I really don't know what's different on my system that makes this
> nifty feature work for me. I'm inclined to think it's not a BASH
> setting or anything specific to my Cygwin configuration.
>
> >It works in CMD.exe, too, including the part about adding quotes
> only when needed. It could be something I configured via Xteq's
> X-Setup or TweakUI. I'm an inveterate customizer.
>
> >Perhaps it depends on which version of Windows you're running? I
> have Win2K Pro with SP3 and pretty much all the updates installed.
> (What am I saying "pretty much?" I'm compulsive about updating!)
>

>OK, I played with this a bit and I think I'm narrowing in on a point
>of significance.  I found that my console bash and cmd worked exactly
>as Randall suggests if the path I was dragging and dropping had a
>space in it's name.  In these cases, the result was quoted (with
>"").  Otherwise, the path that resulted was not quoted.  Randall, is
>this what you see there?
>

>Larry Hall

Larry,

Yes, exactly--quotes are supplied only when the drag entity includes
spaces (anywhere in the absolute name). Which, of course, means I ought
to read my own posts once in a while, since without the quotes and the
unconditional presence of backslashes, this "feature" is less than ideal.

Randall Schulz