Cygwin 1.3.19 Windows 2000 Professional SP3 bash $home /usr/bin/%USERPROFILE%

Randall R Schulz rrschulz@cris.com
Sun Jan 26 12:55:00 GMT 2003

Igor, David,

At 21:15 2003-01-25, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>David,
>
>Wow, you've really done your homework :-D

I was thinking the same thing. Would that everyone was so diligent, eh?

>Apparently, Dia has reset your HOME environment variable.  The default
>/etc/profile sets HOME only if it's not set before, and since Cygwin
>processes inherit the Windows environment, well...  In any case,
>uninstallers rarely change back the environment variables that they munge.
>Thus, you could a) go to Start->Settings->Control Panels->System and
>delete your HOME environment variable (no doubt breaking Dia if it's still
>installed), or b) edit your /etc/profile and comment out the line
>containing 'if [ -z "$HOME" ]; then' and the corresponding 'fi'.  If
>you're feeling unsure about changing /etc/profile, you could instead
>change that conditional to 'if [ -z "$HOME" -o "$HOME" =
>"/usr/bin/%USERPROFILE%"]; then', just to ignore the change Dia made.

The only reason the %USERPROFILE% portion is there in $HOME is because
in the Windows environment variable settings, the value of HOME
includes %USERPROFILE% but USERPROFILE is not itself set, so Windows
doesn't expand the nested variable reference, it just leaves there in
its literal form.

So you can set the HOME definitely / absolutely or supply a value for
USERPROFILE so the expansion of HOME passed to newly created processes
will include it. Somehow, though, I doubt you'd want your HOME
directory to be in "/usr/bin/..."

Randall Schulz