Making zsh the default

Peter A. Castro doctor@fruitbat.org
Tue Jan 28 13:44:00 GMT 2003

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003, Virginia Mann wrote:

> This is probably a dumb question, but I'm a real newbie, so here goes....
>
> What is the proper way to make zsh the default shell in Cygwin? I installed
> it and can start it up by typing "zsh" at a bash prompt, but how do I make
> it take the place of the bash shell entirely?

The latest version of zsh for Cygwin (4.0.6-2) has a shell script which
creates a desktop and/or menu item specifically for starting a zsh shell.

$ mkzsh --desktop

This'll create a desktop icon named 'Cygwin Zsh' which will open a window
and start a zsh shell.  mkzsh creates a batch filenamed zsh.bat, which is
what the icon runs, so you can modify it as you like.  Sorry, no doc for
mkzsh, but it's basically a wrapper around mkshortcut (which does have a
manpage :)

--
Peter A. Castro <doctor@fruitbat.org> or <Peter.Castro@oracle.com>