Suppress newline under cygwin bash

Randall R Schulz rrschulz@cris.com
Tue Jan 28 16:25:00 GMT 2003

Robert,

At 23:19 2003-01-27, Robert Mark Bram wrote:
>Howdy all!
>
>I have noticed that the two ways I have read about to suppress newline
>characters in the echo command do not seem to be working. Here is what I
>have tried:
>
>$ echo "hi there\c"
>hi there\c

This is csh / tcsh's way of suppressing the terminal newline usually
supplied by the "echo" command. It also documented in the man page to
work with the separate echo executable, "/bin/echo.exe", but it does
not do so for me (for whatever reason). It does not work in the BASH
built-in echo command.

>$ echo "...using -n."
>...using -n.
>
>$

You have to give the "-n" as a separate option argument preceding the
string or strings to be echoed.

>Quoted or unquoted, the result is the same. I tried doing a google search
>(and cygwin archive search) for "echo suppress newline" but did not find
>anything related to cygwin.
>
>BTW.. my purpose?

It doesn't matter--you're allowed.

>Any help would be much appreciated!