tclsh83.exe should be cygtclsh83.exe

Charles Wilson cwilson@ece.gatech.edu
Wed Jan 29 09:38:00 GMT 2003

Peter A. Castro wrote:

>>If that is NOT what you are suggestion -- e.g. that only tclsh83 should
>>be renamed -- why?  Why is tclsh83 special?
>

> By that same token, why do the tcl libraries have "cyg" in their name?
> Eg: libtcl83.a is named libcygtcl83.a.  Why?  It's still tcl.  Why are the
> libraries name different for this platform?  I've had to hack some
> autoconf generated configure scripts because they wanted 'libtcl83' not
> 'libcygtcl83'.

I know.  In general, import and static libs are "libfoo", but the DLLs
are cygfoo.  This is to avoid hard-to-diagnose problems related to DLL
conflicts -- but much harder to diagnose, since DLL loading is a black
art for most users, while "make sure the .exe you want is in front of
your PATH" is fairly easy)

As far as the libraries for tcl, I dunno.  That's a decision made by the
tcl/tk folks over on the insight list.  For the record, I have these in
my /usr/lib dir:
/usr/lib/libcygitcl32.a
/usr/lib/libcygtcl83.a
/usr/lib/libtcl8.3.a  <<<<<<<----------
/usr/lib/libcygitclstub32.a
/usr/lib/libcygtclstub83.a
/usr/lib/tclConfig.sh

But I haven't yet updated to the version that was released today.
Apparently a lot of hard work has gone on in this area recently; take a
look at the new packages.  If they aren't satisfactory, I'm sure the
folks over on the insight list would love some help -- but don't hold
your breath on the tcl executable being renamed...

>>P.S.  Now, we *do* name all DLL's with a special 'cyg' prefix, but that
>>is because DLLs are a much more complicated problem than EXEs (memory
>>resident, etc etc)
>

> For DLLs, I can see why they are tagged with 'cyg' (this *is* still
> Windows under the hood), but what about static linklibs?

That is controlled by the compiler/linker's lookup path (builtin, plus
-L arguments).  Thus, no need to worry about conflicts unless you do
something silly.  And linktime issues are the domain of developers, who
are assumed to be somewhat more clueful than your average bear.

--Chuck