example needed pls: `cygpath -c <HANDLE>'

Doug VanLeuven roamdad@attglobal.net
Tue Jul 1 08:29:00 GMT 2003

Soren Andersen wrote:

>On Sun, Jun 29, 2003 at 12:17:01PM +0200, Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
>

>>Hallo Soren,
>>

>>you also wrote:
>>

>>>I am trying to finish a test script that uses ActivePerl to call `cygpath`
>>>  {... stuff ...}
>>>  open(CTH, '-|', "C:/cygwin/bin/cygpath $MS_path_filename")
>>>    or die "Could not open() call to 'cygpath', what is up?";
>>>  $cygstyle_path = <CTH>;
>>>  chomp $cygstyle_path;
>>>  {... stuff ...}
>>>

>>#!/bin/perl
>>
>>$MS_path_filename = 'H:\bin';
>>$MS_path_filename = quotemeta($MS_path_filename);
>>open(CTH, '-|', "H:/bin/cygpath $MS_path_filename")
>>  or die "Could not open() call to 'cygpath', what is up?";
>>$cygstyle_path = <CTH>;
>>chomp $cygstyle_path;
>>
>>print "$cygstyle_path\n";
>>
>># SCRIPT_END
>>

> {Gerrit's output}
>

>>$ /bin/soren_problem.pl
>>/bin
>>

>>What is the problem?
>>

>See my original message please! What I was asking for was an explanation
>of the cygpath flag -c <HANDLE>.
>
>I know the code above works, it ran for me too. First of all you aren't
>reproducing the conditions of the test: NOT CygPerl, but Win32Perl (AS
>Perl); secondly NOT on the console/terminal commandline but in a WSH
>script (the code is executed when the "hooks" built in to WSH which know
>how to call AS Perl, do so); and lastly I am not asking for readers to
>reproduce the test (because it might be onerous to do so, because
>they've never used WSH or don't have AS Perl installed, but if someone
>does have a system which meets those criteria I'd be mightily obliged if
>they would try).
>
>I am just trying to understand what it might be about "cygpath" that it
>cannot output anything under *these* conditions. Or find out whatever
>there is to find out.
>
>Thanks Gerrit!
>   Soren A.

Just goes to show.
I didn't want to get into asp but I created this wsh file
checkpath.wsf
-------------------------------
<Job ID="CheckPath">
<script language=PerlScript>
    $MS_path_filename="c:\\bin\\gzip.exe";

        $WScript->Echo("$MS_path_filename");
    open(CTH, '-|', "D:/cygwin/bin/cygpath $MS_path_filename")
        or die $WScript->Echo("Could not open() call to 'cygpath', what
is up?");
    $cygstyle_path = <CTH>;
    chomp $cygstyle_path;
    $WScript->Echo("A" . "$cygstyle_path" . "B");
</script>
</Job>
pretty much your original post.
I'm finding it only works with AS perl 5.8.0.805.
In 5.6.1.633 the return value is empty but 5.8 works as expected.
I tried this first with cygwin 1.3.21 & 1.3.22 and
before & after upgrading to 5.6 windows script host.
Can't blame cygwin

--
Doug VanLeuven