xmllint -dtdvalid fails to report invalid XML

Elfyn McBratney elfyn@cygwin.com
Tue Jul 1 19:39:00 GMT 2003

On Tue, 1 Jul 2003, Eric Hanchrow wrote:

> This is libxml2 2.5.7.
>
> Here's the input DTD, and the input XML:
>
> 	10:21:47 [erich@alpha examples]$ cat /tmp/tiny.dtd
> 	<!ELEMENT Foo (Bar+)>
> 	<!ELEMENT Bar (#PCDATA)>
> 	10:25:42 [erich@alpha examples]$ cat /tmp/tiny.xml
> 	<!DOCTYPE Foo PUBLIC "" "/tmp/tiny.dtd">
> 	<Foo>
> 	</Foo>
>
> Here's xmllint working properly (with the `-valid' switch):
>
> 	10:20:52 [erich@alpha examples]$ xmllint -noout -valid /tmp/tiny.xml
>
> 	/tmp/tiny.xml:2: validity error: Element Foo content does not follow
> the DTD
> 	Expecting (Bar)+, got ()
> 	</Foo>
> 	     ^
>
> Here's xmllint failing, by not reporting an error:
>
> 	10:20:45 [erich@alpha examples]$ xmllint -noout -dtdvalid
> /tmp/tiny.dtd /tmp/tiny.xml
> 	10:20:46 [erich@alpha tmp]$ echo $?
> 	0
>
> I could not repro this problem on Linux, using the same version of libxml2.

Sorry, I noticed your note earlier but had to rush off for a doctors
appointment. I was about to release updated packages, but I guess that'll
have to wait now. I'll look into it.

Elfyn
(Cygwin LibXML2 Maintainer)