Dumb Question on GCC

Jerry Heyman jerry@corp.tivoli.com
Tue Jul 1 23:37:00 GMT 2003

On Tue, 1 Jul 2003, Martin Gainty wrote:

> $ gcc SLPReg.c -L./ -llibcommonlibslp.a -llibcommonslpd.a
> /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-cygwin/3.2/../../../../i686-pc-cygwin/bin/ld:
> cannot find -llibcommonlibslp.a
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>
> I put c files, o.files, lib and all files local in same directory  and the
> linker still cant find anything Is there any doc on how this works?

-l means that you are specifying a file starting with lib.  If you try
-lcommonlibslp -lcommonslpd gcc should be able to determine what it is
you are trying to link with.

Though I doubt it changes anything, I would also personally use:

 -L.

rather than

 -L./

jerry

Jerry Heyman   919.224.1442   | IBM SWG/Tivoli Software|"Software is the
Build Infrastructure Architect| 3901 S Miami Blvd      | difference between
jheyman@us.ibm.com            | Durham, NC  27703      | hardware and reality"
                      http://www.cs.stedwards.edu/~heyman