Difference between login and runas?

pmarek@users.sourceforge.net pmarek@users.sourceforge.net
Fri Jul 4 07:06:00 GMT 2003

Hello everybody,

I'm using cygwin 1.3.22 and need some help.

I'm trying to change the user (coming from the localsystem account) and tried
several ways.

- the "runas" utility (windows xp) does prompt me for a password. redirection
via eg. "echo password| runas /user:guest cmd.exe" shows that runas gets the
password, but tells always that it is wrong. (yes I know, that echo sends the
spaces between the last character and | - that's why I have none). I even
tried using a 'perl -e "print 'password'" | runas ...' - but that didn't work
either.

- su (cygwin version) doesn't work - has not been rewritten for windows
authentication.

- su (utility from microsoft, IIRC resourcekit or similar) works, but needs
the password.

- login works beautifully, I do not even need the password. But: there seems
to be a difference between login and su(ms-version) or runas.
Trying to run the microsoft office setup program shows problems with login,
which are not there with runas or su.

I checked that
- the correct registry hive was available as HKEY_CURRENT_USER,
- the user and group memberships were correctly set,
- I even purged the environment and "imported" (via a set > file.bat,
text-editing, and "call"ing this file.bat) an "original" from this user.

But there is still some difference, which I don't find.

Can somebody help me please?? Any ideas welcome.