Create cyg-managed filesystem possible? (RE: cygwin 1.5.0 coming - 64 bit file I/O and more)

Elfyn McBratney elfyn@cygwin.com
Sat Jul 5 20:22:00 GMT 2003

On Sat, 5 Jul 2003, Hannu E K Nevalainen (garbage mail) wrote:

> > From: cygwin-owner@cygwin.com [mailto:cygwin-owner@cygwin.com]On Behalf
> > Of Christopher Faylor
>
> > Anyway, expect a testing version of 1.5.0 soon.  Just to whet your
> > appetite a little, I also added a new mount option to this release:
> >
> > mount -o managed c:/foo /foo
> >
> > A managed mount means that file names are entirely managed by cygwin.
> > Any directory managed in this manner will allow the creation of files
> > like "aux", "com1", "abc:def", and files which differ only by case.
> > This is accomplished by munging the filenames in a manner that makes
> > them appear very strange to windows so manipulation of files in these
> > directories is REALLY not recommended.
>
>  Hmm... This makes me think of the "umsdos" filesystem for Linux.
>
> I don't have the time and knowledge to look at it myself so this is just a
> "Wild Ass Idea" that I think could launch others thoughts:
>
>  Would it be possible to use the source of the above mentioned filesystem
> for a complete cygwin managed filesystem?
> It was considered slow at the time I used it, but it did what it was
> supposed to.

Well it's a little harder than that. :-) You'd need an umsdos fhandler and some
other stuff..I think Robert Collins was once working on an umsdos fhandler.

All this talk of filesystem types makes me want to implement a shm device.

> > Unlike the 64 bit stuff which really appears to be rock solid, the
> > managed directory stuff should still be considered an "at your own
> > risk" type of thing.  So while 1.5.0 will be beta quality, the managed
> > stuff will be alpha quality.
>
>  At times I'm amazed of the mere quantity of the work you two do here...
> not to mention the quality of it.
>
> Out of curiosity: What do you two do for a living?

Chris is the RCM for Cygwin and Corinna is the 5* student :-)

> /Hannu E K Nevalainen, B.Sc. EE - Micro Computer Systems, 59~14'N, 17~12'E
>  ~ <=> degree

Elfyn