users and startup scripts (FAQ alert)
andrew brian clegg
a.clegg@mail.cryst.bbk.ac.uk
Tue Jul 8 10:12:00 GMT 2003
On Mon, 7 Jul 2003, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> The preferred method for switching users is by running "ssh
> user@localhost" (after setting up sshd, obviously). I'm guessing the
> above FAQ entry should be updated as well.
I hope this isn't rehashing old discussions, but I'd always assumed from
the number of times people talk about using ssh to switch users that there
was something inherently disadvantageous about using (say)
runas /user:Administrator "c:\cygwin\bin\bash --login -i"
or setting up a shortcut with the 'run as different user' checkbox set (in
Win2K; I think the semantics are slightly different in XP IIRC).
But now I've tried it, it works fine for me... Is the only drawback that
this doesn't work in DOS versions of Windows, or is there some other
reason why it's not recommended?
Andrew.
--
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation: http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ: http://cygwin.com/faq/
More information about the Cygwin
mailing list