Performance problem

Vladimir Baltchev vbaltch@orthosoft.ca
Wed Jul 9 15:20:00 GMT 2003


OK, guys,
I understand what Andre is saying, but he said cygwin is offering an 
opportunity to use a OpenGL package different from the X11 one.
In fact I am trying to use cygwin to avoid havy porting effort. 
Obviousely OpenGL on cygwin is slow and I'll forget about cygwin if I 
have to rewrite the application...
Anyways, thanks for the help
Vlad
Larry Hall wrote:

> Vladimir,
>
> I think you're a little too fixated on the portability aspects such that
> you're not really processing what Andre is saying.  If you want
> absolute minimal porting changes, the route you took is the proper one,
> but you will suffer extreme performance degradation due to the fact that
> all of the processing for GL will happen in software.  If this isn't
> acceptable to you, then you do need to do more porting so that you're
> application works with Windows rather than X.  For that, you can go 100%
> native Windows with your entire application or you can use the OpenGL
> package in Cygwin so that you only need to port the GL portion.  There is
> no libGL with Windows implementation of GL or in the OpenGL package that
> comes with Cygwin so I wouldn't waste any time trying to figure out why
> you can't find one outside of the X package.
>
> HTH,
>
> Larry
>
>
> Vladimir Baltchev wrote:
>
>> In fact you have 3 gl.h in cygwin but only one library - libGL, and 
>> it's the X11 one...
>>
>> Vladimir Baltchev <vbaltch at orthosoft dot ca> wrote:
>>
>>    The combination OpenGL X11 works fine on Unix.
>>
>> That's because it is hardware accelerated on Unix.
>>
>>    We are trying to use cygwin to port our applications on Windows. The
>>    cygwin's OpenGL gives us the dependency on the X11 cygwin simulation
>>    on Windows which is slow, I gess...
>>
>> They are 2 OpenGL implementation for Cygwin:
>>
>> A slow one for X11: everything is rendered in software.
>>
>> A fast one for native Windows apps. The OpenGL package enables you to 
>> use it. It uses hardware acceleration if available.
>>
>>
>> André Bleau, Cygwin's OpenGL package maintainer.
>>
>>
>> -- 
>> Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
>> Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
>> Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
>> FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
>>
>>
>
>


-- 
Vladimir Baltchev
Senior Software Developer @ Orthosoft R&D Inc
Tel (514) 861-1837 ext 230
Email: Vladimir.Baltchev@orthosoft.ca



--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/



More information about the Cygwin mailing list