newlib math bug (fpclassify)

Joseph E. Vornehm, Jr. joev@mitre.org
Thu Jul 10 18:03:00 GMT 2003

I've already posted this info to the newlib list along with a patch.
Someone suggested I re-posting it here, since it affects development of
scientific/mathematical software using Cygwin.  Apologies if this is
repeat information for anyone; this seemed to be a more appropriate
forum than, say, cygwin-patches.

newlib contains a bug in its math libraries that causes fmax() and
fmin() not to handle negative numbers properly.  I presume several other
math functions are affected, as well.  Specifically, the __fpclassifyf
and __fpclassifyd functions incorrectly report negative numbers as NaNs.

newlib 1.11.0 is affected; I presume prior versions are affected, as
well.  Version 1.3.22 of the Cygwin DLL is affected.  The newlib cvsweb
interface shows that the patch has been applied to the CVS tree.

Joe Vornehm