make 3.80 and VPATH

Christopher Seawood cls@seawood.org
Sat Jul 12 07:31:00 GMT 2003

Christopher Faylor wrote:

 > Then, we need to know *how*you*are*running*make*.

We're just typing 'make', which unless something changed, should be the
same as 'make --unix'.  'make -p | grep MAKE_MODE' returns 'MAKE_MODE =
unix'.  Hmm.  I do see that /etc/profile is setting MAKE_MODE=unix so
that may not be make's default.

 > You don't have to go into exhaustive detail about how mozilla works.
 > You just need a (probably) three line makefile and a copy of the make
 > command line and, if you are using it, description of the MAKE_MODE
 > environment variable setting.
 >
 > I am not trying to be difficult.  I have tried to construct my own test
 > case and, AFAICT, it works fine.
 >
 > I run it like thist:
 >
 > make --win32 -f mkfile
 >
 > mkfile contains:
 >
 > VPATH=c:/tmp
 > all: remount.bat
 > 	echo $?
 >
 > remount.bat exists in c:/tmp.

That example works fine if I do 'make --win32' but fails when just using
'make'.  That is a change in behavior from the previous version of make.
  The testcase works with either of --unix & --win32 when using make
3.79.1-7 .

Using --win32 is not an option for building Mozilla as the common set of
build rules assume that a bourne shell is being used.

- cls