Apache with mod_proxy as caching proxy randomly fails

Hannu E K Nevalainen (garbage mail) garbage_collector@telia.com
Tue Jul 15 15:15:00 GMT 2003

> From: cygwin-owner@cygwin.com [mailto:cygwin-owner@cygwin.com]On Behalf
> Of Brian Dessent

> "Hannu E K Nevalainen (garbage mail)" wrote:
> >
> > > From: cygwin-owner@cygwin.com
> [mailto:cygwin-owner@cygwin.com]On Behalf
> > > Of Brian Dessent
> >
> > > Hi.  I've been trying for some time now to get Apache working as a
> > > caching proxy.  I am finding that random requests fail,
> returning a HTTP
> > > 503 error to the caller (which happens to be another chained
> proxy, but
> > > that's not relevent here), with a corresponding line in the error log
> > > similar to :
> > >
> > > [Sun Jul 13 11:16:37 2003] [error] (13)Permission denied: proxy: error
> > > linking cache file /var/cache/apache/tmp003196 to
> > > /var/cache/apache/9/Q/VkKA5ubeqzho36CHKUug
> > --8<--
> >
> >  Just a thought: Is it possible that the fault isn't within Apache?
> > Does all directories exist? Can you mimick the rename/move/link/unlink
> > operations that  Apache is attempting? (Check the source to see what it
> > attempts?)
> >

> Well, I've ensured that /var/cache/apache exists; after that it's pretty
> much apache's responsibility (and indeed it does create the heirarchy
> below, based upon a config directive for the derired depth.)
>
> The problem that it's having, apparently, is that when you have caching
> enabled, it creates a temp-file for every request, and then links it to
> a path/filename that is meaningful to it if it discovers that it should
> cache the response.  And the errors that I"m getting apparently stem
> from the fact that such an object already exists during this
> rename-phase.  The question is why does it fail for certain, random
> requests and not for all of them?

Well, I'm no real expert here - but to me this sounds as a
filesystem "compatibility"(wd/sp?) issue. Do/Can you agree with this?

 If this is the case it might pay off to study the differences between e.g.
ext2/ext3 and the "emulated filesystem" in cygwin.

/Hannu E K Nevalainen, B.Sc. EE - Micro Computer Systems, 59~14'N, 17~12'E
 ~ <=> degree

--

--END OF MESSAGE--