1.5.0 - gettimeofday() out of sync with Windows time

Chris Church cchurch@integrian.com
Thu Jul 17 20:40:00 GMT 2003

I'm using version 1.5.0 of the cygwin1.dll on Windows 2000
Professional.  I've also seen the problem described below on earlier
versions of cygwin (1.3.22).

I've found that the gettimeofday() and ftime() functions do not always
return the correct system time as reported by Windows.  The time()
function, however, always remains in sync with Windows time.  This
discrepancy occurs when an application is started, then the Windows
system time changes, then the application calls gettimeofday() or
ftime() to retrieve the current system time.   Both gettimeofday() and
ftime() always report the same incorrect time.  It also appears that the
time as reported by gettimeofday() and ftime() is based on a counter
that is initialized to match the system time, but once started,
increments at a constant rate regardless of any changes to the Windows
time.  (I have not yet dug into the source for Cygwin to see how these
functions are implemented.)  Finally, the time reported by
gettimeofday() and ftime(), when used within an application that runs
for an extended period of time, will drift from the Windows time.

Is this a known issue with Cygwin, and are there any patches available?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.