Cygdrive Path Prefix Question

Kenny Carruthers cygwin@kennyc.com
Fri Jul 18 09:32:00 GMT 2003

Hi,

I've been looking throughout the documentation and FAQ's but I still can't
figure this one out. This is running against the latest cygwin version
(updated using setup.exe from the website).

My drive mounts are pretty much standard and look like this:

C:\cygwin\bin on /usr/bin type system (binmode)
C:\cygwin\lib on /usr/lib type system (binmode)
C:\cygwin on / type system (binmode)
c: on /cygdrive/c type user (textmode,noumount)

When I launch an instance of cygwin, my present working directory is my home
directory as expected. The problem is the following:

When I type "cd c:/", then "pwd", the result is "/cygdrive/c" however when a
co-worker of mine types that same "cd c:/" command his working directory is
echoed back as "c:\". I'm trying to figure out how to get cygwin to echo
back Win32 paths instead of POSIX style paths. (co-worker doesn't know how
he did it.).

I want Win32 style paths because I'm using perforce from both a Windows
environment and a cygwin environment and the root for my perforce client is
"c:\devel". I can't use perforce instead cygwin because when cygwin echoes
back the POSIX style path then perforce can't figure out the mapping. (And I
unfortunately can't use Perforce's 'AltRoot' because the server version we
have doesn't support it.)

So just wondering if someone can tell me how I configure cygwin to echo back
Win32 style paths instead of POSIX style paths for the current working
directory.

Thanks so much...
Kenny