Spammers watching this user forum

Andrew DeFaria ADeFaria@Salira.com
Sat Jul 19 00:12:00 GMT 2003

Steve Coleman wrote:

> My current thoughts.. Most spammers use open relays as their way to
> move their email into the legitimate Internet email system

Are you sure about this? I know spammers abuse open relays but I'm not
as certain that the majority of their spamming occurs over open relays.

> If enough machines on the internet listened on port 25 out there and
> "ate" all the spammers junk like this then the spammers would have a
> tough time staying in business by trying to use open relays, because
> they would never know if their cruft was /dev/null'ed or not.

You probably will have as much luck convincing people who have open
relays (either on purpose or by accident) to configure a "spam eater" as
you would just having them close their open relay! As such this plan
would probably never work.