API Reference documentation

Igor Pechtchanski pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Fri Jul 25 02:35:00 GMT 2003

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 24, 2003 at 09:45:50PM -0400, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> >> Or, just install the cygwin-doc package.
> >
> >D'oh!!!  However, the cygwin-doc package could itself benefit from better
> >documentation. ;-)  There is no mention of cygwin-api in any of the
> >readmes.
>
> What would you expect to find in a cygwin doc package other than
> documentation about cygwin?

Well, I'd expect a README for the cygwin-doc package to list the
documentation available from that package.  Instead, here it is in all of
its terse entirety:
  $ cat /usr/doc/cygwin-doc-1.3/README
  Thu Oct 17 19:29:23  2002
  Joshua Daniel Franklin <joshuadfranklin@yahoo.com>

  The html/ and txt/ directories here contain the cygwin-users-guide.

  See /usr/doc/Cygwin/cygwin-doc-x.x-x.README for more information.
  $

The above is at best misleading, since the txt/ directory does not contain
the User's Guide at all (only the readme and the faq), and the html/
directory also contains the readme, the faq, and cygwin-api.  The README
in /usr/doc/Cygwin only lists the changes made (again, with no mention of
cygwin-api whatsoever).  Just an observation.

> It's also listed in the info dir file, just like all other info
> documentation on cygwin or any other UNIX-like system.  Just typing
> 'info' shows you what cygwin doc info is available.

Hmm, I never tried that.  Thanks for the info. :-)

> And please don't tell me that there needs to be a a README pointing
> people at info...

Maybe not.  But my first reflex has always been 'man foo' instead of 'info
foo' -- call me old-fashioned.  Before you ask, I haven't tried 'man info'
either -- shame on me! :-D
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/