Problems with man

Hannu E K Nevalainen (garbage mail) garbage_collector@telia.com
Thu Jul 31 17:36:00 GMT 2003

> From: cygwin-owner@cygwin.com [mailto:cygwin-owner@cygwin.com]On Behalf
> Of Larry Hall

> Kaufman, Duane (MED, LUNAR) wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > I recently installed Cygwin on my desktop machine (Win2k 5.00.2195
> > Service Pack 2), and I am having trouble with getting man pages. Here is
> > some output:

 Is it bash you're running below here?

> > duane@USD22C821 ~
> > $ man man
> > /usr/bin/tbl: not found
> > /bin/cat: not found
> > /usr/bin/nroff: not found
> > /usr/bin/less: not found
> > Error executing formatting or display command.
> > System command (cd /usr/man && (echo ".pl 1100i"; /bin/cat
> > '/usr/man/man1/man.1'
> > ; echo; echo ".pl \n(nlu+10") | /usr/bin/tbl | /usr/bin/nroff -c -mandoc
> > | /usr/
> > bin/less -isrR) exited with status 32512.
> > No manual entry for man
> >
> > I have read the FAQ, and yes, I have ash installed. Trying the same from
> > a sh:
> >
> > duane@USD22C821 ~
> > $ sh
> > \[\033]0;\w\007
> > \033[32m\]\u@\h \[\033[33m\w\033[0m\]

 IIRC the default "sh" is the same as "ash" which in turn is a very
_cutdown_ build. It is included just for "install script" stuff.

 Please, do correct me if I'm wrong!

I'd reccommend using /bin/bash based on these facts. Unless you plan to go
and recompile "sh" or "ash" yourself.

> > $ man man
> > /usr/bin/tbl: not found
> > /usr/bin/nroff: not found
> > /usr/bin/less: not found
> > Error executing formatting or display command.
> > System command (cd /usr/man && (echo ".pl 1100i"; /bin/cat
> > '/usr/man/man1/man.1'
> > ; echo; echo ".pl \n(nlu+10") | /usr/bin/tbl | /usr/bin/nroff -c -mandoc
> > | /usr/
> > bin/less -isrR) exited with status 32512.
> > No manual entry for man
> > \[\033]0;\w\007
> > \033[32m\]\u@\h \[\033[33m\w\033[0m\]
> >
> > What do I have configured wrong?
>
> This looks like a permission problem but there's nothing obviously wrong
> from your setup log or cygwcheck output.  Can you invoke any of these
> directly from bash without problems?  What do the ownerships look like
> on these files?  What does 'getfacl' say for these files?

 Might this be about not running bash, but something else?

/Hannu E K Nevalainen, B.Sc. EE Microcomputer systems - 59?14'N, 17?12'E
--END OF MESSAGE--