using a dll created by cygwin in msvc++

Larry Hall cygwin-lh@cygwin.com
Thu Jul 31 19:53:00 GMT 2003

Jérôme DESPATIS wrote:

> i've created a .dll with cygwin
>
> i'd like now to create a simple program under msvc++
> that use functions of this dll
>
> when i compile my very simple program, i get those
> errors at link step: unresolved external symbol _foo
> where foo is a function of my dll
>
> so how can i use this dll in my program ? maybe a
> foo.lib is missing (is there a way to create it from a
> dll ?), or maybe is there another way to do so ?

You need an import library to link against, yes.  See
<http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/dll.html> for instructions
on building DLLs and import libraries with Cygwin.  Keep in
mind that if you're using cygwin1.dll in your resulting DLL
(i.e. you're not using the '-mno-cygwin' flag for gcc) then
you may end up with 2 C runtimes in your final executable.
See the FAQ and <http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-07/msg01761.html>
for some information on this.  There's plenty more in the email
archives too if you're interested.

Holliston, MA 01746