postgresql, cygwin newbie, issues

Larry Hall cygwin-lh@cygwin.com
Thu Jul 31 21:49:00 GMT 2003

Michael Teter wrote:

> Howdy.
>
> I and to run PostgreSQL on Cygwin.  I've found a few differing "guides" of how
> to do this, but I'm unable to get any to fit my situation.
>
> I have CYGWIN_NT-5.1 with "all" packages downloaded and installed.  I'm
> running XP Pro SP1.  Guides I've found for Postgres+Cygwin tell of running
> ipc-daemon, then starting postgres.
>
> I found ipc-daemon2 in the cygipc package (which had to be specifically
> selected in cygwin setup, despite my having specified during install that I
> wanted everything.
>
> THE PROBLEM: when I run ipc-daemon2, I get a windows error dialog that states:
> Title: ipc-daemon2.exe - Entry Point Not Found
> Body: The procedure entry point __getreent could not be located in the dynamic
> link library cygwin1.dll.
>
> Suggestions?
>
> Incidentally, I find it odd that Postgres is included in Cygwin when it can't
> be used, or not without seeking out external packages.
>
> Thanks for any help or pointers to information.

You're mixing stuff up.  You've installed cygipc version 2, which is
built for the test release of the upcoming Cygwin 1.5 DLL.  But postgresql
isn't built against this yet.  You should run setup again, leave the
'Curr' button selected, and let it install whatever it thinks it needs
to.  That will give you consistent binaries for Cygwin 1.3.22.  Then
read <http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-05/msg01125.html>.  This
contains pointers to all the information you need to know to install and
configure PostgreSQL.

Holliston, MA 01746