linking cygwins glX (in libGL.a) with MS hardware opengl32 libraries

Andre Bleau bleau@igb.umontreal.ca
Wed Jun 4 14:12:00 GMT 2003

Sorry Steve K, but you are heading toward a dead end.

The hardware accelerated openGL drivers cannot be accessed from X window,
and there is no way we can change this. Basicalty, we cannot "teach"
drivers writen by graphic hardware manufacturers how to draw in an X-window
context. So you have to choose between:

1- Keep your app as is, using X window through GLX, and forget hardware
acceleration.

2- Rewrite your app to use wgl and M$-specific functions to manage windows
and input (this can be a substantial rewrite) and use hardware accelerated
openGL for drawing.

3- Use some portable window management layer, like GLUT, and use hardware
accelerated openGL for drawing.

André Bleau, Cygwin's OpenGL package maintainer.

email: bleau at igb dot umontreal dot ca
(Fight SPAM: encode your email-address)

Please address all questions and problem reports about Cygwin's OpenGL
package to cygwin@cygwin.com .