Bash 2.05 not reading my ~/.bashrc

Randall R Schulz rschulz@sonic.net
Mon Jun 16 15:10:00 GMT 2003

Dean,

At 07:52 2003-06-16, Schulze, Dean wrote:

>I checked the mail archives for this problem before posting but found
>nothing of any help.  A search engine that uses boolean logic (or something
>like Google) would help a lot.

Use the domain-restricted Google search feature at
(<http://www.google.com/advanced_search>) to search the Cygwin mail
archives. You can get this capability while skipping the advanced
search page by using this syntax in a simple Google search: "site:cygwin.com".

>I solved this problem by putting ". .bashrc" at the end of the /etc/profile.
>
>My experience with Cygwin is that it is very unstable.  Every new release
>introduces new bugs.  How about getting to a stable version and keeping it
>available instead of making everyone download the latest build?

Your experience is not shared.

Cygwin is very large and its components are not really part of a
unified whole (that being a kind of illusion presented by the
installer). Those pacakges maintained by a disparate group of
volunteers and considering all the factors, are of very high quality
generally. Furthermore, the changes visible to end users of Cygwin
often reflect incorporation of upstream changes produced by the core
developers of the various open source projects that Cygwin
incorporates. Not to keep up with these would mean forever falling
behind the current state of development of those programs.

Randall Schulz