About the 'su' command

Larry Hall cygwin-lh@cygwin.com
Wed Jun 18 00:19:00 GMT 2003

Sylvain Petreolle wrote:

>>Really?  Here's two useful and informative messages I found on the
>>first
>>page of hits from google:
>
> (I used the mailing list serach engine :) but of course google pOwEr )

First mistake. ;-)

>><www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2001-04/msg00051.html>
>
> Reading the first one and its thread doesnt give a valuable reason to
> keep the FAQ out of sync.

You're welcome to submit a patch.  I offered this thread as "good
background" only.  I wasn't seeking to justify the FAQ's entry.

>><www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-02/msg01733.html>
>>
>>Does this not answer your question and provide suitable options for
>>you?
>
> The second says the command wont work unless I have appropriate
> privileges.
> Do you know "someone" on an XP station that has more powers than the
> Administrator or an Administrators member ?

Certainly.  SYSTEM.  But I'd highly recommend using ssh instead of
su.  That way you don't have to create a user with privileges that
opens a security hole just so you can su.  Of course, you can do
so if you prefer.

Holliston, MA 01746