Bourne Shell Programming on Windows

linda w (cyg) cygwin@tlinx.org
Sun Jun 22 19:09:00 GMT 2003

===

	Isn't 'ash' (/bin/sh) bourne shell compatible?  I thought the
intent in ashwas to strip the shell down to basics, but still run original
bourne shell scripts.  I'm not sure, but I think ash might provide
the closest bourne shell compatibility, since I don't think it provides
all the ksh enhancements.

	Assuming one only wanted the basic bourne shell, wouldn't ash
(/bin/sh)
be the best choice (smallest .exe, least overhead, and fastest load
time).  I believe it is the shell used by default for /bin/sh.

	If you need korn shell extensions, /bin/sh might not have what you
need.
-linda