firewall going bezerk.

Igor Pechtchanski pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Sun Jun 29 03:37:00 GMT 2003

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003, Harald Houppermans wrote:

> Yo,
>
> Cygwin is constantly performing DNS lookup's
>
> My zone alarm firewall is going nuts.
>
> I think cygwin even turned my firewall off... the true vector engine.
>
> Anyway I decided to turn the firewall off completely...
>
> Cygwin is not the only app going nuts with dns... also windows xp is going
> nuts with DNS.
>
> I think it is because the way cygwin and windows works... like a quake
> game... everythin goes via network code...
>
> So cygwin is like a server giving service or something... windows xp is also
> like a server ? funny.
>
> But I don't think it s funny... I hate it... I want my internet connection
> to only access the net when it is really needed.
>
> I rather have windows xp and cygwin not be like a server etc... and just use
> dll's and other forms of inter process communication etc...
>
> Those are my wishes :P :D
>
> :)

It's hard to say for sure, but my guess is that it's Cygwin's gethostname
function which calls winsock's implementation of same.  The winsock
gethostname implementation will apparently access DNS for the name of the
current machine - go figure.  FYI, gethostname is called at least when you
log in, to set the prompt and all...
	Igor
P.S. "Yo"?
--