pdksh installation

Elfyn McBratney elfyn-cygwin@exposure.org.uk
Mon Mar 3 16:51:00 GMT 2003

> > I am also looking forward to the release of a built-in ksh for
> > Cygwin.
> >
> > And, I can see that you wouldn't want to bug the maintainer with
> > frivilous questions that would delay what you are looking for.
> >
> > However, I don't see a problem with making and playing in your
> > own mud-puddle.  Here is what I have figured out so far:
> >
> > You will need the bzip package installed so that you can run bunzip2
> > from the command line.
> >
> > I believe that (others please jump in to correct if I am wrong) that
> > the Cyg Installer unpacks the package to the cygwin root directory
> > and then runs /etc/postinstall/<package_name>.sh.
> >
> > What I did was unpack the bzip file to a scratch dir and then read
> > the <pkg>.sh to figure what post processing I had to do for my
particular
> > mud puddle.
> >
> > If all of the above is Greek to you, then it probably would be best
> > to wait for the official release.
> >
> I copied the bz2's and setup.hint to a separate directory, copied
setup.exe
> into that directory and ran it.  The only dependency I saw in the
setup.hint
> was Cygwin itself and I already had that installed.  I selected install
from
> local directory and pointed it to the directory containing the bz2.  It
> seemed to work and I ended up with a /etc/postinstall/pdksh.sh.done file.
>
> The reason I asked the question was that I notice the /etc/profile.ksh did
> not get installed.  The file /usr/doc/Cygwin/pdksh-5.2.14.README listed it
> as a file included in the package. I just wanted to find out if there was
> standard way to install from the bz2 with setup.exe.

That's because I made a small mistake in the README file for the package.
The file in question is installed only if the user doesn't already have one
so in case they do there original profile does not get overwritten. You
should be able to see that from the postinstall script.

Regards,

Elfyn McBratney
elfyn@exposure.org.uk
www.exposure.org.uk