why is bash trying to access my DNS?

Geoffrey Hausheer cygwin1@phracturedblue.com
Tue Mar 4 05:34:00 GMT 2003

On 04 Mar 2003 00:08:27 -0500, "David Means dmeans-at-the-means.net
|cygwin/1.0-Allow|" <trjbhb747a0t@sneakemail.com> said:
> Proper hostname resolution should look in the hosts file before querying
> DNS.  Try putting your hostname/ip address pair in your host file. I
> don't recall if windows will look there first, though.  However, if
> you're getting your IP address via DHCP, this isn't going to work for
> you.

I've already tried this, to no avail.

> Seconly, why are you worried about outbound DNS?  Can you not configure
> ZoneAlarm to trigger only on DNS targeted to your machine?  Certianly
> you're not worried you or someone else on your SOHO network will hacking
> a DNS server?
I'm not, but I can't tell ZoneAlarm to allow all programs to acces DNS,
but to prompt me for any other access).
I am tryng  to prevent programs on my system, that I (or my family)
install from sending  data out without my knowledge.  I have no problem
with them asking fro DNS access, but I can't seem to tell ZoneAlarm that
DNS is okay, and not  anything else.

(Actually, ZoneAlarm can allow outgoig DNS access automatically, but I
can't enable that without disabling the per-program control I currently
use, or at least I haven't figure outhow yet).

.Geoff