why is bash trying to access my DNS? [OT]

Randall R Schulz rrschulz@cris.com
Wed Mar 5 01:39:00 GMT 2003

John,

I get it.

Well, on my system, running Norton Personal Firewall, each distinct
programm that attempts to access the Internet or to which a connection
is attempted (and which is not known to be and has not been granted
access rights) produces an alert. I take it this much is like ZoneAlarm.

In NPF one can continue to individually grant and deny these attempts
or choose to grant or deny them "forever" (which just causes a new rule
to be added to NPF's database--those rules can be edited.) NPF also has
a "zones" notion that allows different protection regimes to be applied
to different zones. Zones are defined by IP addresses or ranges
thereof. I never reflexively hit "grant" on those alerts. Most of the
time if I'm going to grant (not deny), I'll make it a rule and not have
to bother again.

NPF seems to know in detail (beyond just file name) the applications to
which its rules apply, since when I re-install something (say wget)
using the updated application triggers an alert from NPF again.

Perhaps the free version of ZoneAlarm does not provide as flexible or
readily accessible a facility for defining new access control rules?
All I really recall about it was that it (I was actually using one of
the "premium" non-free($) versions) caused my system to lock up when I
used Internet Connection Sharing. That was a couple of years ago. I
dumped it after a couple of those incidents.

Randall Schulz