fork: permission denied (again)

Luc Hermitte hermitte@free.fr
Thu Mar 13 17:04:00 GMT 2003

Hello,

I'm running into a very annoying problem.
When I try to compile mutt-1.5.x under cygwin, happens a time when
./configure isn't able to execute any command anymore and prints me a:
"{the_command}: fork: permission denied" for its remaining tasks.

After that, the console/bash (the famous "bash -i --login", or something
like that) becomes very limited ; actually, the error occurs even when I
open a new console and sometimes within some native win32 programs that
can't acces some ressources.

The only way I have found to "free" the ressources beeing to reboot. :-(

To be more precise, I think the problem does not come from ./configure,
but from any shell script I use ; sometimes it happens after a long day
of starting vim sessions (I use a shell script for that), or while
"make" is running.

I know (thanks to google) that this is a common issue, not knew at all.
But unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any valuable information
on how to fix it.

I have tried to use gcc-2.95.5 with cygwin-1.20-1, with no improvements.
I had hope when I saw the changes made with cygwin-1.21-1, tried to use
it with gcc-3.2, and again: "fork: permission denied".

Does anybody has a clue ? a link ? a workaround that I can use ?
I guess the solution lies within fork() implementation and how bash uses
it ... but I can't tell more.

Note: I use a Windows XP machine -- monthes ago, I was able to recompile
mutt-1.4 under Windows Me.

Thanks in advance.

--
Luc Hermitte