[ANNOUNCEMENT] New release of setup.exe (2.249.2.10)

Markus Schönhaber mks99@t-online.de
Thu Mar 13 23:03:00 GMT 2003

Robert Collins wrote:
> --=-8Y1At7C4hDRsJ/vt6G2U
>
> I'm happy to announce a new release of setup.exe. It will *improve* the
> display of permissions for use with the ntsec setting of cygwin (which
> is the default now) in the majority of cases. More fine tuning may be
> needed but our calls for exhaustive testing have met the same fate as
> the calls to test this set of snapshots of setup.exe.

Did a fresh install at my XP-Prof box at home - moving the directories and
registry keys out of th way beforehand. I just now realize, I forgot to
remove the CYGWIN environment variable. Don't know if this has any
influence on the installation process.

> Two things pose some concern to Pierre, who developed the setup/ntsec
> code: domain users and the Windows popup asking if setup should run as
> Administrator.

Seems to me that almost everything has worked fine (haven't intensively
tested though). Just, when the postinstall script ran, I was able to read
a message saying that the domain controller wasn't found. Seems to me,
this message came from mkpasswd (is it called with the -d param in
postinstall?). Anyway, after the installation my /etc/passwd and
/etc/group files didn't exactly exceed my harddisk's capacity:
/etc/passwd:
SYSTEM:*:18:544:,S-1-5-18::
Administratoren:*:544:544:,S-1-5-32-544::

/etc/group:
SYSTEM:S-1-5-18:18:

I should mention that this machine isn't member of a domain. The contents
of the files reflect the output of mk(passwd|group) -d:
$ mkpasswd -d
SYSTEM:*:18:544:,S-1-5-18::
Administratoren:*:544:544:,S-1-5-32-544::
mkpasswd: [2453] Domänencontroller für diese Domäne konnte nicht gefunden
werden.
(this means something like: DC for this domain couldn't be found.)
I did mk(passwd|group) -l manually and everything seems fine now.

Read/execute permission was set for owner and group (Users) for all files
in /bin. So i guess the problem of bash not finding some executables when
logged in with other credentials should be gone now. Most files seem to
have no permission for "other"s.

Since I did the installation logged in under an administrator account
there wasn't any need for setup to ask wether it should run as
Administrator - and it didn't ask.

> An additional change in this release is the ability to use http proxies
> that require a username with an empty password.
>
> To download this version, simply click on the 'install cygwin now' link
> on the cygwin homepage, or wait for setup.exe to be copied out to your
> preferred mirror.
>
> Cheers,
> Rob

If there is more that you would like to see tested...

Regards
   mks