[ANNOUNCEMENT] New release of setup.exe (2.249.2.10)

Markus Schönhaber mks99@t-online.de
Fri Mar 14 08:36:00 GMT 2003

Pierre A. Humblet wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 11:45:58PM +0100, Markus Schönhaber wrote:
>
> Thanks a lot for the report, Markus.

You're welcome.
Guess, your reply reached me and not the list because I forgot to set the

>>Did a fresh install at my XP-Prof box at home - moving the directories and
>>registry keys out of th way beforehand. I just now realize, I forgot to
>>remove the CYGWIN environment variable. Don't know if this has any
>>influence on the installation process.
>

> Only possibly in postinstall scripts, if they do not set it.
>

>>Seems to me that almost everything has worked fine (haven't intensively
>>tested though). Just, when the postinstall script ran, I was able to read
>>a message saying that the domain controller wasn't found. Seems to me,
>>this message came from mkpasswd (is it called with the -d param in
>>postinstall?).
>

> Sorry about that, see
> <http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-03/msg00890.html>
> Your mirror seems to be updated slowly.

No problem.
There are some more boxes waiting to get updated (domain members /
standalone workstations). I'll do that next week. Propably then my mirror
will carry the most recent files.

>>Read/execute permission was set for owner and group (Users) for all files
>>in /bin. So i guess the problem of bash not finding some executables when
>>logged in with other credentials should be gone now. Most files seem to
>>have no permission for "other"s.
>

> Great. Note that setup.exe respects the inherited access rights definedon
> your system (where Everyone apparently has no access). Only the *display*
> has been improved.

Exactly: No ACE for Everyone. Thanks for clearing that up.

>>Since I did the installation logged in under an administrator account
>>there wasn't any need for setup to ask wether it should run as
>>Administrator - and it didn't ask.
>

> Too bad :(  This behavior has only been reported a few times, I'd like
> to understand it!

The way setup behaved is exactly the way I expected it to and the way I
would consider right. But you seem to consider this a problem. Obviously I
did miss the point here - maybe we are talking about different things.
It's not about the "Select Root Install Directory" dialog where you can
select to install for "All Users" or "Just Me", is it?
I just started setup under a non-privileged account and XP's mechanism to
show the "Run as Administrator" dialog when starting a program called
"setup.exe" or "install.exe" kicked in.
Maybe this is what you meant? If so - it worked for me.

Regards
   mks