[ANNOUNCEMENT] New release of setup.exe (2.249.2.10)

Markus Schönhaber mks99@t-online.de
Fri Mar 14 18:55:00 GMT 2003

Pierre A. Humblet wrote:
> Here is another point of concern: assume a non privileged domain user
> runs setup and answers "yes" to the "Run as Administrator" dialog.
> It is likely that no entry will be made for the domain user in /etc/passwd
> To verify that it will be necessary to rename /etc/passwd  before
> running setup.
> Thanks for trying when you have a chance.

Well, the account that is proposed by default by the Run As dialog ist the
local Administrator. Running under that account setup will alomost
certainly fail to create the domain relevant information in /etc/passwd
and /etc/group. But I will try and verify that next week.
OTOH: I wouldn't worry too much about that. Put that in the FAQ. This
should make things clear to the domain user who does an installation with
local administrative rights.
Any domain administrator logged on under a restricted account and
therefore using the Run As feature knows that it would be a gould idea to
switch to his domain admin account when doing things where domain access
is relevant or he shouldn't have been made domain administrator in the
first place.

> Pierre
>
> P.S.: in my previous e-mail:
> normal users probably don't       have rx access.
>                            ^^^^^^
>                            seem to

I think this time I got the point at first try ;-)

Regards
   mks