question about undefined reference

enrico.luedecke@gmx.de enrico.luedecke@gmx.de
Tue Mar 18 15:10:00 GMT 2003

Hi all,

this is my first posting, so be patient if something goes wrong :-)

I installed Cygwin yesterday with nearly all packages. I want to write an
app running both on win and linux. I want to use gtk and glade to build the
GUI. I started to compile the libs and packages needed for linux: gtk, glib,
pango, atk, ... But nearly everytime I try to compile a package I get an error:
undefined reference to '_some_function'. For example compiling gtk the last
error was: /home/lÿ77777774decke/Projekte/gtk+-2.2.1/gtk/gtksocket.c:334:
undefined reference to `_gdk_x11_drawable_get_xid'. Right before the errors I got
the message:

libtool: link: warning: `/lib/libintl.la' seems to be moved

*** Warning: This system can not link to static lib archive
../gdk/libgdk-x11-2.0.la.
*** you link to this library.  But I can only do this if you have a
*** shared version of the library, which you do not appear to have.

I don't understand this message, but it seems to occur often.
I did an aclocal and autoconf before compiling to avoid the _WinMain@16
error. The Makefiles are therefore automatically build. The problem seems to be,
that the linker can't find libraries for instance in ../../name_of_lib. These
are provided by the package and definitively are there. I must admit that
I'm a Newbee in using Makefiles. I ever use generated ones and don't have
problems with it.

Does anybody knows this problem and maybe a solution?

Thanks

Enrico