CYGWIN smbntfs default value

Doug VanLeuven roamdad@attglobal.net
Fri Mar 21 04:37:00 GMT 2003

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>>I'm noticing smbntfs is not set by default
>>whereas the env CYGWIN documentation says it is.
>>Which is correct behavior?
>>     Cygwin DLL version info:
>>         DLL version: 1.3.21
>
> There is no such setting.  There is an "smbntsec" setting, which is on by
> default, so I assume that's what you meant.  BTW, how do you know it's not
> on?  "On by default" means that if the CYGWIN environment variable doesn't
> contain any mention of it, it's on.

Sorry.  smbntsec is what I meant.  You know, the setting that
yeilds ntfs acls.  How can I tell?  Er, on a samba 2.2.7a share
(yes I know, I get upgraded soon)
[homes]
nt acl support = yes

Linux shell:
-rw-------    1 doug     doug          951 Jan  6  2002 id_rsa

Cygwin shell, no CYWIN variable defined
$ if [ -z "$CYGWIN" ]; then echo false; else echo $CYGWIN; fi
false
-rw-r--r--    1 doug     None          951 Jan  6  2002 id_rsa

$ if [ -z "$CYGWIN" ]; then echo false; else echo $CYGWIN; fi
smbntsec
-rw-------    1 doug     doug          951 Jan  6  2002 id_rsa
$ export CYGWIN=nosmbntsec
-rw-r--r--    1 doug     None          951 Jan  6  2002 id_rsa

ssh is pretty vocal about this.

> Which documentation are you referring to?
> <http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-cygwinenv.html> should be the most
> up-to-date one.
> 	Igor

Yes, that's the one.  The env variable CYGWIN documentation.

PS: If I punched Hollerith, would I be guilty of a misdemeanor?

Regards,
--
Doug VanLeuven