Connection issues w/ Cygwin SSH

Igor Pechtchanski pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Wed Mar 26 03:00:00 GMT 2003

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003, Kyle Yamnitz wrote:

> > This list is not responsible for supporting or validating
> > information and/or utilities from sites other than cygwin.com.
> > If you have trouble with information/utitilties you get from
> > other sites, contact that site.  In this case, your question
> > is properly directed at tech.erdelynet.com.
>
> ?  I thought this list was for discussing Cygwin.  My problem lies in
> connecting to my Cygwin SSH server, not VNC...  I can connect to my SSH
> server from some locations but not from others, and I don't understand why
> that would be the case, so I asked.  Sorry...
>         --Kyle Yamnitz

Kyle,

You weren't wrong -- this list *is* for discussing Cygwin.  What Larry
said was that this list cannot possibly support unofficial information
about Cygwin utilities, when perfectly valid (and comprehensible, IMO)
official documentation for same exists.

If you get the same problem after setting up Cygwin using the official
documentation (in this case, /usr/doc/Cygwin/openssh-*.README), this list
will usually be very forthcoming with help and advice on fixing it.
However, anytime an unofficial page is used, it is automatically suspect,
and your best bet in resolving problems that (possibly) come from the
incorrect or outdated information on that page is to contact its author
(who may well be on this list, but that's beside the point).

If you read the official documentation and find out that you have followed
the correct setup procedure (i.e., the unofficial page you used is indeed
up-to-date), simply confirm that this is the case, and people on this list
most likely will try to help you diagnose and alleviate your problem.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

Oh, boy, virtual memory! Now I'm gonna make myself a really *big* RAMdisk!
  -- /usr/games/fortune