Gold star for Joshua and a suggestion for setup documentation

Elfyn McBratney elfyn-cygwin@exposure.org.uk
Thu Mar 27 05:59:00 GMT 2003

> (anyone sick of the "gold star" stuff yet?)

No! ;-)

> I just wanted to put in a kudo for Joshua Franklin and his work on the
> cygwin documentation.  His latest setup documentation installment is
> really wonderful.  It is just what we needed.

Indeed. Nice Work!

> It is so good that I would like to suggest that maybe it should subsume
> (mostly) my words at http://cygwin.com/download.html and that I should
> get rid of this link entirely or just point at the correct place in the
> documentation.
>
> What do you think?  Do we still need the words at
> http://cygwin.com/download.html to exist as a separate entity?  If so,
> I'll probably add another documentation link to the main web page for
> people who are first downloading cygwin.  I even wonder if the "Download
> Cygwin Now!" link should first take users to this documentation and
> maybe there could be a link to setup.exe in the documentation itself.

How about changing the "Install Cygwin now" links to point to download.html?
Keep second line/paragraph and the the last two or three paragraphs and also
some "newbie" information could be added like links to all of the
documentation, the "Setup Package Search" page, "Bug Reporting" etc..? I
know it's all their (on the same page) but the cygwin@cygwin.com mailing
list is an example of people not reading what's right in front of them.
There are five or six questions from today which could have all been
answered by the docs.

I've strayed for soooo long I forgot to mention that there should/could also
be a link to the setup.exe documentation. :-)

Regards,

Elfyn McBratney
elfyn@exposure.org.uk
www.exposure.org.uk