Automatic perl/python/tcl/etc. support in VIM

Barry Buchbinder bbuchbinder@yahoo.com
Thu May 1 16:14:00 GMT 2003

(1) Vim for DOS/Windows does not have
perl/tcl/python/ruby support compiled in.  Note
"-perl", -python", "-ruby", and "-tcl", below.

:version
VIM - Vi IMproved 6.1 (2002 Mar 24, compiled Mar 24
2002 15:42:46)
32 bit MS-DOS version
Big version without GUI.  Features included (+) or not
(-):
+autocmd -balloon_eval -browse ++builtin_terms
+byte_offset +cindent -clientserver +clipboard
+cmdline_compl +cmdline_hist +cmdline_info +comments
+cryptv -cscope +dialog_con +diff +digraphs -ebcdic
+emacs_tags +eval +ex_extra +extra_search +farsi
+file_in_path +find_in_path +folding -footer -gettext
-hangul_input -iconv +insert_expand +jumplist +keymap
+langmap -libcall +linebreak +lispindent +listcmds
+localmap +menu +mksession +modify_fname +mouse
-mouseshape +multi_byte +multi_lang -osfiletype
+path_extra -perl +postscript +printer -python
+quickfix +rightleft -ruby +scrollbind +signs
+smartindent -sniff +statusline -sun_workshop +syntax
+tag_binary +tag_old_static -tag_any_white -tcl
-tgetent -termresponse +textobjects -title -toolbar
+user_commands +vertsplit +virtualedit +visual
+visualextra +viminfo +vreplace +wildignore +wildmenu
+windows +writebackup -xfontset -xim -xterm_save
   system vimrc file: "$VIM\vimrc"
     user vimrc file: "$HOME\_vimrc"
 2nd user vimrc file: "$VIM\_vimrc"
      user exrc file: "$HOME\_exrc"
  2nd user exrc file: "$VIM\_exrc"

(2) Supporting "all these things, IFF they are
present" doesn't seem to work, at least not with vim
built OOTB.  As an experiment, I download the
following from vim.org.
  vim-6.1.405-extra.tar.gz
  vim-6.1.405-lang.tar.gz
  vim-6.1.405-rt1.tar.gz
  vim-6.1.405-rt2.tar.gz
  vim-6.1.405-src1.tar.gz
  vim-6.1.405-src2.tar.gz

I unpacked it and it built OOTB with
  ./configure --build=cygwin --host=cygwin
--enable-perlinterp --enable-pythoninterp
--enable-tclinterp --enable-rubyinterp; make
The resulting vim had perl support (I have perl) but
not support for python, tcl, or ruby (I don't have
them); it seems that configure had checked for
presence of the interpreters.

I then did a 'make clean' and re-built with
  ./configure --build=cygwin --host=cygwin
--enable-perlinterp; make
and got a vim the exact same size as perviously built.
 It passed all tests except 2 that were skipped.

I then uninstalled perl and tried to start vim.  It
would not start and except to give a "Error Starting
Program" message box stating "A required .DLL file,
CYGPERL5_8_0.dll, was not found.".

To complete the circle, I reinstalled perl and vim
seemed to load just fine.

- Barry Buchbinder