Why isnt mysql "native" to cygwin

Shankar Unni shankar@cotagesoft.com
Fri May 2 16:27:00 GMT 2003

zzapper wrote:

> I've searched back thru a load of threads, and found much hassle with installing
> mysql, but why isn't part of setup in the same way as postgres??

Probably because there's a well-maintained native port of MySQL, so
there's less incentive for someone to volunteer to be an official
maintainer of a full cygwin mysql.

Unfortunately, the good folks at mysql still ship a binary "mysqlc"
that's supposedly a cygwin build of the mysql command-line tool, but
it's linked against the ancient b19 (!!!), and they ship a binary
cygwinb19.dll without sources in apparent violation of the GPL..