Cygwin survey: Next vim version with perl support?

Sat May 3 19:30:00 GMT 2003

On Fri, May 02, 2003 at 01:08:10PM -0400, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> I can see one way out of this that would keep everyone happy: make the
> has("perl") test dynamic, and check for the presence of the needed perl
> DLL before invoking the feature (instead of just returning the
> compile-time value).  IMO, vim shouldn't try to load the perl DLL unless
> the perl scripting feature is used.  Putting a test for perl in
> has("perl") will guard against accidental use. The same goes for all the
> scripting features.  This will most likely require rewriting some of the
> vim code and convincing upstream maintainers to apply the patches, but is,
> IMO, "the right thing to do"...
> 	Igor
> P.S. I just looked through eval.c in the vim source, and it seems some
> kind sould has already gone through the trouble of implementing the above,
> when DYNAMIC_PERL is defined.  Same goes for other scripting languages.
> Don't know if you can set it from configure, though...

It can't.  I've made a few tests with DYNAMIC_PERL and DYNAMIC_RUBY.
All these DYNAMIC_foo stuff is only implemented for native Windows.
Trying to tweak it for Cygwin isn't just as simple as setting some
defines.  While I was able to jolt over the compiler pass, I wasn't
able to link vim with dynamic perl support due to missing symbols.
The ruby version built but didn't work (unable to load the DLL, though
the path was correct).

Sorry, this needs more to work than I'm willing to invest into the port.
If somebody else is interested to work on this, go ahead.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.