Problems installing Perl packages in Cygwin AND Problems with Activestate perl in Cygwin

Max Bowsher maxb@ukf.net
Wed May 7 23:08:00 GMT 2003

Jeremy Hetzler wrote:
> At 03:10 PM 5/7/2003 -0500, Charles Plager wrote:
>> 1)  I'm trying to install packages by:
>> unix> perl -MCPAN -e shell
>> cpan> install LWP
>
> I have a working LWP install on Cygwin. I did it by using cpan to download
> and untar the packages ("get"), then going into the ~/.cpan/build/foo
> directories and building "manually". Usually this is just a matter of
"perl
> Makefile.pl; make; make test; make install".
>
> You will have to read the modules' READMEs to make sure you have all
> required dependencies installed. As I recall, LWP needs quite a few other
> modules which aren't core Perl. They're all easily cpan-gettable, though.
>
> One other gotcha: LWP will try to install /usr/bin/HEAD, which will
> conflict with /usr/bin/head.exe in our flexibly-cased and
> .exe-semitransparent wonderland. Just rename head.exe to head.exe.bak
> before the install, or let the HEAD installation fail (it's syntactic
sugar
> for the command line, not needed for Perl code).

Nothing stops you from using the CPAN shell for the whole process. Using the
cpan "look" command, you can get a shell in which you can correct the bug in
Makefile.PL before going on to build it:

$ cpan
cpan> look LWP
$ vim Makefile.PL

(Now edit the line: