redistributing cygwin1.dll

Christopher Faylor cgf-rcm@cygwin.com
Tue May 13 06:34:00 GMT 2003

On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 12:12:17AM -0400, Patrick J. LoPresti wrote:
>[snip]

I am not going to let myself be drawn down this rat hole again.

I said that I would research this GPL thing back in March and I sent the
results of the research to the mailing list in a clearly labelled
message.  I have no intention of doing research to find a URL.  I've
verified that it was actually sent in my personal archives.

I also have no intention of rationalizing why I am trying to be
consistent in enforcing the license and I have no intention of
discussing your psychological suppositions as to why I do what I do.

On rereading my GPL clarification email I can see that I didn't take
my own advice when responding to the email that started this thread.

"We should try to be non-confrontational when we bring issues to the
attention of the well-meaning people who think they are open source
advocates if they provide our binaries on their site.'

I don't think I was particularly confrontational when I suggested that
including the sources was required but I was when responding to the
typical response to that suggestion.

I can't guarantee that I won't be annoyed in the future by having to
explain this YA but I'll try to remember to keep the non-confrontational
aspect of the response in mind and reign in my distaste for this
particular part of my cygwin maintainership duties.  Strangely, this
part of cygwin maintainership is not even a volunteer effort.  Both
Corinna and I have an obligation to Red Hat to see that the Cygwin
license is enforced.

cgf
--
Please use the resources at cygwin.com rather than sending personal email.