Does cygstart always expand arguments?

Jim Kleckner jek_subs@kleckner.net
Tue May 13 22:10:00 GMT 2003


Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> On Tue, 13 May 2003, Jim Kleckner wrote:
...
> I think you're confused about what cygstart does.  Cygstart is for
> situations when, given a data file, you want to run the associated
> application, like double-clicking it in explorer.  While you can use it to
> launch .exe's (by definition), it's probably not what you want in this
> case.  Try invoking gvim without cygstart, i.e., simply
> 
> $ gvim "file with spaces.txt"
> 
> Hope this helps,
> 	Igor
> 

Running with
   gvim "file with spaces.txt" &
is close to what I want but it is still
attached to the shell as a subprocess.
cygstart will nicely launch a completely
independent process.  So that I can exit
the original bash and not have any issues
with accidentally foregrounding that process.

I do have the .txt file type associated with
gvim but I use a text editor frequently to look
at arbitrary file types or file types that
correctly are registered to other programs.
e.g. .html.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Jim


--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/



More information about the Cygwin mailing list