Renaming YELLER'S directories to something less aloud (Was: case sensitivity and filenames)

Igor Pechtchanski pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Fri May 16 17:40:00 GMT 2003

On Fri, 16 May 2003, Hannu E K Nevalainen (garbage mail) wrote:

> > From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc.) [mailto:lhall@rfk.com]
>
> > > set CYGWIN="tty notitle glob check_case:strict"
> > > $ echo $CYGWIN
> > > tty notitle glob
> > >
> > > Ehhh? Where did the remainder go? Should it be like that?
> > > (Tried with and without double quotes, rebooting inbetween
> > >  to make sure that cygwin.dll was REALLY flushed)
> >
> > Works fine for me.  Maybe you reset CYGWIN in an rc file?
>
> $ cd ; pwd ; whoami ; ls -A; grep -i CYGWIN *
> /home/Hannu
> Hannu
> .Xauthority  .bash_history  .mc/      .rm_bc_paths  .vimrc     bx/     rexx/
> .Xdefaults   .bash_logout   .ncftp/   .ssh/         Projects/  md5/
> scripts/
> .adtrc       .inputrc       .profile  .viminfo      bin/       pfree@  sed/

Hannu,

FYI, the above command won't get the .* files.  You might have better luck
with

$ cd; find . -type f -maxdepth 1 | xargs grep -iH CYGWIN

> --8<--
> > > It is late - am I tired or just outta luck?
> >

> > Too tired it seems.  Remember, you're using a case-insensitive OS.
> > 'AAA' and 'aaa' are the same.
>  =-) I'm aware of that, renaming files with just case differences works fine
> "outside of" cygwin. I'm an Amiga "oldtimer" (1985++) where the situation is
> the same.

If you fix the first problem (i.e., setting "check_case:strict"), mv will
complain on attempting to move something into a directory if the case is
not exact, e.g., "mv AAA aaa" will fail with

mv: cannot create directory `aaa': Filename exists with different caseIllegal byte sequenceValue too large for defined data type

(so ok, there's a bug in mv's error printing code :-D)

> >  If you want to change by case only,
> > you'll need to move the directory (or file) to a different name and
> > then move it to the desired, target name.
>
>  Well, that currently seems to be the only option... IMO the first simple
>    mv FILE File
> should be have worked.
> May I guess that this is related to the problems with stat() ?

The error I'm getting in this case is "mv: cannot create regular file
'aaa': No such file or directory" (this is with check_case:strict).
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty.
  -- Leto II